Did you know that the Belgian Waffle already originated in the 16th Century? Did you know that Belgians almost never eat a waffle for breakfast, but mostly as a snack or for lunch? Did you know that almost every Belgian family has his own (secret) recipe? Did you know that there is a cookie like waffle that you eat as a cookie? Want to look inside the REAL Belgian waffle and get more then 100 recipes? Come and take a look at the Belgian Waffle Forum!!! Made by a real Belgian, who lived off and on in the United States for about 18 years!



Monday, January 6, 2014

Fresh start with the English page!

When I was growing up in Belgium, I loved going to others people houses, trying out their own waffles.  Every one of them tasted different and each family had his favorites.  When I moved to Ithaca, New York in the US, 18 years ago, the first thing I bought in a garage sale was a waffle maker (for 1 dollar)!  I started baking waffles for every student gathering or special occasion and people loved it!  I later took it to other places in the US and even to Finland and Ethiopia, where I thought local people how to make waffles!  Kids would know me as "the mother who bakes these wonderful birthday-waffles" and would ask me on the school gate when I would bake them again!

After all our travels to Africa and Europe, I started wondering about all the other recipes that are around in Belgium and so I put an ad in a popular family magazine to call for more recipes.  I was overwhelmed not only by the amount of mail I got, but also about how passionate people were about their - often family secret - waffle recipes!  I felt I could not keep all of these just sitting in my drawer for me to use, so I started a "Waffle - blog" http://belgischewafels.blogspot.be/.  We have now more then 100 recipes on this blog and more then 100 000 hits.  I still keep looking for new ones and also for new ways how to use the waffle maker (eg. with puff pastry).

About a year ago, I started the English version on this blog, but I got taken back by the negative e-mails I received about "how much fat and sugar we Belgians are eating etc."  Of course, everybody knows waffles are not to be eaten every day and should be seen as a special treat and also... I am looking into "healthy waffles, waffles in other ways to be eaten for lunch, light waffles etc...", so I am sure that EVERYBODY can find his own waffle by now on the blog!  

I will try to continue to put recipes in English on this blog, but I am not a professional translator and also not a  dietitian!  I am just a Belgian who loves making waffles and keeping the Belgian waffle alive!  

Smakelijk!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment